วันอังคารที่ 23 สิงหาคม พ.ศ. 2554

Shopping classes & used book policy in Penn State Univ.




I like the tradition of shopping for classes in American Universities. Wow! that means there're a lot of classes per a semester for students to choose. This week students are allowed to sit in a class they're interested in and then next week if they find that they're still interested in the courses, they can accredit those courses. Unlike many Thai universities, students frequently complain that they'd like to study some courses, but they're not available. Moreover, some elective courses aren't the true one as there're not many choices for them to select, so they've to study in the elective courses that they're not much interested in. This's also due to the shortage of teachers in a campus.

Today's the second day of the Fall Semester. I was keen to study since it's my first class so I arrived at the class 15 mins. earlier to find later that the class wasn't available anymore. See! Even in USA, the info. from the univ. website's not updated. Van & I saw the course offering in Higher Edu. just a few days ago. The officer told us that the info. didn't show on the college of Edu. anymore, but it might be in the registrar's office website.




So, I'd plenty of time before the evening class of Globalization & Lifelong Learning started at 6-9 pm. Van & I went to the HUB Center to have lunch there. It's very very crowded. Perhaps because the no. of students totally were 43000 so  it's impossible to avoid long lines. 

Even at the bookstore where I looked for used / rental / new textbooks for the Friday class of Higher Edu. in USA. It took quite some time to wait for a long line.
In Thailand, senior students will pass their used books to junior students or big brothers pass books to younger ones. Oh! I nearly forget that there's a policy for students to borrow books from school and return at the end of the term.

Similary, Penn State students can rent books from bookstores and  prices are much cheaper than buying a new one ( Haha...that's for sure).  My eyes were widely opened knowing that I'd get a cheaper price so I told the cashier that I'd like to rent these books which I got from the list of the prof.



Unfortunatetly, I didn't have a credit card for book rental so I'd to buy them new. Textbooks in USA are very expensive.  Totally, I paid 3,360 B. for both used & new 5 books. I planned to sell it after the end of the courses as the bookstores have a policy of buying used books and sell to students for the next semester. However, the price for selling back was cheap. I did this once when I was in UC Davis, selling the new textbook "Beyond Language" and got $5 back.

However, it's better than getting nothing. With $5, I can buy 1 meal and learn how Americans utilize the policy of helping students to get cheaper price book.






ไม่มีความคิดเห็น:

แสดงความคิดเห็น