วันเสาร์ที่ 20 สิงหาคม พ.ศ. 2554

Garage Sale in USA




Yesterday we Humphrey Fellows had a team-building program in order to get to know each other better at the Tussey Mountain. ( It's somewhat a hill but considered mountain here :-).
In the afternoon, it rained heavily so we couldn't climb a mountain. The back-up plan was shopping for used items at the garage sale which I found was a great place to get a cheapest stuff. My adrenalin strongly got aleart. The Global Connection Organization has organized this event to get a fund for its org.

Items were varied. Umm...let say if one was looking for refurnishing his/her house or need anything for a kitchen, living room he/she'd get them all.




Mostly, each item cost $1. I'd like to buy all,but in a few minutes realizing that my bedroom's very small. Not many space to store all things that I wanted.




I ended up paying $23.50 for 16 books, 2 notebooks, 1 TV and radio alarm clock.  In Walmart Store, by this amount of money, I'd get just 1 jacket. ( However, Walmart's a good choice for shoppers as there're a lot of Walmart throughout the country).





At the last minute, I decided to buy the 14 - inch TV that cost $5. Surprisingly cheap! Normally, when I was in Thailand, I rarely watched TV, but here I thought perhaps I could practice listening skill and watch news to update what's going on around the globe.

The funny thing was I didn't know that the TV system here needed a TV cable cord. I saw it on the floor at the garage sale, but thought it didn't belong to the TV. 

Arriving the apt., I tried to plug the socket to set up it, but it didn't work so I came downstair to the Weston Community Center which's the office for helping residents. Ms. Robin, the office manager told me that I needed to have the cable cord which's amazingly cost about $20, much more expensive than the TV I bought.

Oh My God!

Tik Tok Tik Tok... My brain had to think veryt quickly. Then I came up with the idea of calling the elder lady whom I know at the garage sale and told her my problem. Luckily, as she's the host family of my Indian friend, Khati, she's so kind that she'd pass it to Khati when she met her in the evening.

Unfortunately, she misunderstood that I'd like to get a new TV because the TV I got didn't work. So, she brought the new used TV from the garage sales to Khati.

Ok... my TV's now settled down in my bedroom. Just wait for the partner, cable cord, to meet her this evening ( Saturday 20 Aug.11) and then they'd  happily live together ever after.

-------------------------------------------------
Later:
I got message from James to share his ideas about his home country & garage sale culture
"Many people get the idea to clean out their homes/garages and will give things away! Boxes of books for 1, 2, 3, 5 dollars!"
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ไม่มีความคิดเห็น:

แสดงความคิดเห็น