วันอาทิตย์ที่ 4 กันยายน พ.ศ. 2554

A new food runner @ the Beaver Stadium, PSU




I've no idea what a food runner was until yesterday morning. Umm... perhaps I may start from the beginning of the story.

4 Humphrey fellows namely Diana, One, Alex & I joined the Friday Fellowship Dinner & Program which run by the International Ministries for a couple of time, and all of us felt grateful that we shouldn't just join the free dinner & Eng. lessons which's only benefit us, but we should pay it back, not in a kind of money, but energy.
So, when Bill, the head of the org. asked for volunteers to sell food at the Beaver Stadium in the campus, we undoubtedly grab a chance to sign up!

That's why on Saturday 3 September 2011, we got up very early in the morning to meet up at 8.30 am. to walk from the west campus to the east campus. So far from the end of the corner to the other end of the corner. It took 30 mins to walk and another 15 mins to look for our EF snack concesssion. 
Oh! there are nearly 30 volunteer students signed up for this event: The Football Match between Penn State U. & Indiana U.
Bill briefed what we'd to do and assigned each responsibility.  Most of us were new and never worked in a concession before.

I'd like to do an easy task like scooping popcorn, putting ice in a large-size cup & car mug, but all of Humphrey fellows ended up with being a food runner.

What's the food runner? It was the first time I heard this word in my life.
Oh! At last, after Bill's explanation (again), I realized that a cashier would take orders and informed the food runner to grap ordered food for him. 
American students were assigned as cashiers since they're very good at catching words and familiar with American food vocab.
Back to the food runner, in a short time, we'd to learn how each food was called
- "C" on a box meaned chicken hamburger
- plain box meaned just hamburger. If a customer ordered cheese hamburger, we needed to put 1 piece of cheese in it.
- several types of soft drinks ( Pepsi, Diet Pepsi, Mtn. Dew, Fruit Punch).
- Bratwurst or Brat ( Sometimes I was confused when customers shortened it just Brat.)
- soft Preszel ( I didn't think it's yummy at all)
- different types of candy.

The American Football started at 12.05 pm., but our work started from 10.30 am. when audience entered the stadium. It's very hectic & demanding as there're more details like: 
- Customers ordered hotdog,but we run out of it. and they needed to wait while hotdog makers busily did it.

- Some customers didn't want a warm bottled water and what we left was just warm one. Bottled water's sold out very quick as the weather's very hot.
- Some'd like to pay by debit card/credit card, but we accepted just cash.
- The concession's walk way's narrow so we'd to sqeeze and sometimes we bumped into each other.
- The cheese machine overflew
Within 3 hrs., we sold almost every thing we'd and I might say it's a success as we still had fun while we work.

All volunteers were allowed to eat whatever we liked, but to me, I ate just popcorn & Pepsi.  American snacks's somehow either too salty or sweet for me. More importantly, they come in a big quantity / amount so I was afraid that I couldn't finish them up and I'd waste food.

The motto for today: put myself into other people's shoes to learn how they ( food runners/ waiters) feel. Next time when I'm in a restaurant, I won't complain when I get food quite slow or wrong food.


ไม่มีความคิดเห็น:

แสดงความคิดเห็น