วันอังคารที่ 15 เมษายน พ.ศ. 2557

Learning outside classrooms: A trainee at Le Meridien Phuket Beach Resort








            As a fourth- year English major, having internship is obligation. I chose the hotel as my learning space instead of airports, tourist police stations or tour agencies that English skills get involved. At the present, I am doing internship at Le Meridien Phuket Beach Resort in Phuket.  I would like to share my valuable experience as a trainee here to younger students. I also hope that these experiences can help them make decision where or what kind of workplaces to join.


            I was impressed since my first day in the hotel with warm welcoming orientation. 
I realized that the hotel is a chain of Starwood, the internationally famous brand. Moreover, the working systems here are well-arranged. The hotel takes care of all trainees well by providing free accommodation, transportation, food, public holidays and stipend.
            I work as an assistant of secretary to Food and Beverage Director. Someone may say that it is boring to work in the office. I would say that being a trainee in the office is not just copying document or making a cup of coffee as some people misunderstand.


            My duty includes printing daily report for my boss in the morning. Then, I check document needed my boss’ signature. Moreover, I also print menus and food tags on request. I sometimes go to other offices to hand in document as a messenger. However, it is fun to interact with people. Now I have already dealt with document for one month, what I can say is that it requires high attention. I cannot be careless when I was assigned to type or arrange 
things that involved money.


            Tuesday is the day of the week that I look forward to because I go to the general store for distributing general supplies to restaurants. My favorite part is that answering the phone. My trainer always provides me chances to practice speaking on the phone. I deal with both internal and external calls. It is such the great opportunity to practice my listening skill since there are a lot of foreign chefs, staff and customers. Furthermore, two of my bosses in the office are from England and Germany. They always kindly speak to me on any subject that they can put into conversation.
            Furthermore, I am always offered a chance to participate in other activities both outside such as Asia Pacific Starwood Careers Day and in the hotel such as Songkran’s Festival. There is also trainee monthly meeting that we can meet training staff and also learn English that is necessary for hotel work. This makes my time as a trainee here more precious.

            To sum up, working in the office provides a chance to practice many skills, namely computing, writing, speaking and listening skills. I realize that I have already put myself in the most suitable place to find new experience.

                                                                                                        (Aon, or Wanlapa, 4th-year student)
-------------------------------------------------------
PS:  Aon was assigned to write the 1st-month essay to me and here it goes.  She's a very responsible woman. Whenever being assigned any jobs, she would manage her time to complete her task.  2 thumbs up for her hard working as ever. 
--------------------------------------------------------

ไม่มีความคิดเห็น:

แสดงความคิดเห็น