วันศุกร์ที่ 18 พฤษภาคม พ.ศ. 2555

Observation from Internship Experience at UA

Dear Diary,

Yํou know what!
 
This's my 3rd week in Tucson.

I'm having a pleasant time doing my internship in Asian-Pacific American Student Affairs in U. of Arizona.  Faculties here are very friendly, when I've no work to do in the  office as it's summer break so the univ. is quiet and having slow pace, they've tried to find activities for me to explore and learn from other offices.

Today, Ben, my co-worker,  called Linda, Asst. dean for Educational & Student Affairs, College of Medicine. As a result,I've shadowed some offices, i.e., the office of Admission at the school of Medicine and I'm allowed to attend faculty's meetings, too.  

I'm  surprised to know that for the admission of the Medical School which is highly competitive, just about 2500 candidates will be accepted.  One of the required activities in U. of Utah is community / volunteer service as it points out that  "The medical profession is strongly oriented to service in the community.  Applicants should demonstrate a commitment to the community by involving themselves in service & volunteer activities. The minimum requirement is 36 hrs."
(http://medicine.utah.edu/admission/criteria)


Wow! I've never heard this happens in Thailand, if I'm not mistaken. It'd be good if it's utilize in any countries. What I know is that smart high school graduate will apply for it and if their GPA is very high, plus they pass the Entrance Exam for the Medical School, they can get in.  

I really appreciate this idea. 

Moreover, I've learned that the Stanford School of Medicine which's located in California has recommended that apart from academic requirements, knowledge of a modern foreign lang. specially Spanish or an Asian language are taken into committee's consideration.

I asked Linda about this, and she explained that the major minority in California are the Spanish & Asians so it'd be benefit when doctors know other languages so that they can communicate well with patients.  I got it!  

I'm not sure about medical students in Thailand.  I don't think they have to study another languages. But it's a trend that hospitals are more likely to recruit new graduates who study foreign languages, i.e., English, Korean, & Japanese to help communicate with foreign patients.   

This meeting today opened up my world perspective.  Thanks Linda & Ben who offered me this opportunity.

By the way, I also helped the Native American Student Affairs which in short is called NASA! (Sounds like Aerospace field :) to set up the convocation for the Native American Students, who're quite big groups in U. of Arizona. 

 


(In Penn State, the Native American students aren't as many as here. I attended the POWWOW Festival which aimed to promote the Native American culture and heritage. That's just a quick glimpse before moving to the land of Native Americans in Arizona.)


 



ไม่มีความคิดเห็น:

แสดงความคิดเห็น